Top Ten Things to do in Casablanca
1. Visit the Hassan II Mosque: Marvel at the awe-inspiring Hassan II Mosque, the largest mosque in Morocco and one of the most important religious landmarks in Casablanca.
2. Explore the Old Medina: Get lost in the narrow lanes of the old medina of Casablanca. Wander around the souks, explore the hidden treasures, and get an unforgettable experience!
3. Tour the Jewish Museum: Discover the fascinating stories of the Jewish people in Morocco, with the largest collections of artifacts, pictures, and documents at the Jewish Museum.
4. Hang out in the Habous District: Shop around at the small boutiques and sip on an aromatic tea while admiring the European-style architecture at the Habous District of Casablanca.
5. Visit Marrakesh: Take a three-hour drive to Marrakesh, the heart and soul of Morocco, and explore its vibrant markets, stunning architecture, and colorful heritage.
6. Trek to the Ait Ben Haddou: Enjoy a day-trip adventure and explore the ancient Ait Ben Haddou village and enjoy stunning vistas, in the Ouarzazate region.
7. Climb the Moroccan Atlas Mountains: Trek, bike or simply explore the High Atlas Mountains and witness some of the most spectacular landscapes and sun-parched villages in Morocco.
8. Stroll around the Jemaa El-Fna: Experience the hustle and bustle of Marrakesh in the lively Jemaa El-Fna Square and don’t miss out the snake charmer performances and street performances!
9. Explore the Kasbah of the Udayas: Visit the ruined 11th century Kasbah of the Udayas, the UNESCO world heritage site in Rabat and gaze at the panoramic views of the city from the terrace.
10. Surf at Essaouira: Hop on to a two-hour drive from Marrakesh and enjoy the pristine beaches and surf at Essaouira, a bohemian town with plenty of colorful markets, beaches and galleries.
Casablanca is a beautiful Moroccan city located on the country's Atlantic coast. As the country's largest city, it is a major economic hub and the nation's leading seaport, but also a popular tourist destination. Tourists come for the urban mix of bustling modernity, colonial charm and traditional cool.
The old French and Spanish architecture of the old medina provides a nice contrast to the towering skyscrapers of Casablanca, creating a picturesque cityscape. You can explore Casablanca by foot, taking in its many art deco-style buildings while walking along the wide city boulevards. Sites like the Hassan II Mosque, the largest mosque in Africa and the world's seventh-largest, is definitely worth seeing.
Casablanca is an ideal place for beach breaks, and one of the city's main draws are its lovely beaches, perfect for swimming, sunbathing and soaking up the sun. Etang Sahel has white sand and turquoise waters and is close to the center of town. Ait-Daoud is a popular spot on the seafront where you can sample the local cuisine and grab a beer from one of the many beach bars.
Casablanca has plenty to offer in terms of shopping, dining and nightlife, and the city's main shopping area, the Marhaba Mall, is the best bet for shoppers. Here you can find international brands, designer labels, and international cuisine as well, for an international flavor. In the evening, the nightclubs of Casablanca come alive and invite travelers to take part in the active nightlife scene.
For those looking for an urban getaway or a romantic escape, Casablanca is a great destination to visit. Its Mediterranean vibe, great food, and lively nightlife, makes it a perfect destination for travelers.
by Michael Pineros